- 2 1/2 cups yellow lentils
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 x 3 cm piece ginger, grated
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 can peeled tomatoes (about 4 plum tomatoes), chopped
- 2 cups hot water from the kettle
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Wash lentils in running water, discarding debris. Drain.
- Heat up large frypan until smoking hot and then add oil.
- Add onions, garlic and ginger and turn down to medium heat.
- Cook, stirring often, for few minutes until onion softens and then add turmeric, mixing in thoroughly.
- Continue cooking for a minute or so and then add lentils.
- Stir to combine and continue cooking for a minute before adding tomatoes, garam masala and water.
- Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes and then add salt and honey, mixing in thoroughly.
- Serve with steamed rice and pappodams
You can also use red lentils instead of the yellow ones.